Dunn High School Memorial

 

Memorial

In February of 2004, DHS Friends membership, with scores of alumni attending, dedicated a memorial in honor of and in memory of Dunn High School in the form of a brick monument, the design of which was inspired by a brick entrance sign placed in front of the original Dunn High School building by the Class of 1959. Placement of the memorial, on North Orange Avenue, was within feet of the original. A bronze plaque commemorating the site of the high school building is inscribed, "Dunn High School, home of The Greenwaves, stood on this site from 1926 until closing in 1985. In its final years the building served as Dunn Middle School (1985 through 1996) and was finally demolished in 1996." The plaque is framed in a surrounding bed of bricks salvaged from the old building at the time of demolition. Also embedded in the bricks is a time capsule containing artifacts and discs of information and photographs archiving the history of the school and detailing the formation and purpose of DHS Friends. It is scheduled to be unearthed in 2079, seventy-five years from the date of its placement.

 

Copyright DHS Friends, Inc. - 2021